Monday, January 18, 2010

Python IDE - switched to PyDev

Last week, I wanted to prepare to my OpenERP technical training. So I was ready to buy one licence for Wingware. I don't mind paying for a licence, but I don't like their activation limit. I am spending my time installing new pcs, real and virtual one. Will I have to negociate with them exta-keys?

So I decided to give a try to Eclipse 3.5.x. Installing Eclipse is fairly easy, specially on Ubuntu 9.10. Adding PyDev (http://www.pydev.org/) took me only a few minutes.

The net result is an excellent IDE probably exceeding Wingware. Very stable and with a bunch of nice features. The ultimate test: debugging OpenERP ! Yes it does without a problem.

So clearly, it is better than a text editor (although gedit is not that bad with plugins) a bit less user friendly than Netbeans (my point of view), yet an excellent tool for programming Python & OpenERP.

I hope later one this week to be able to add Bazaar support to it...

In my class today, I think almost the half of the students have Eclipse on their machine. Kind of standard !

No comments: