Friday, January 08, 2010

First week almost gone already... - recovering OpenOffice file

Well seeing the first week almost finished is a pain. I have some much to do (this week, this month, this year...) and have the feeling of having done so little...


Early this week a friend sent us a corrupted OpenOffice file. When trying to open it  we got 'The file xxx is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. Should OpenOffice.org repair the file'.

Well accepting this just opened a blank document. So repaired, yes, but empty...

OpenOffice documents are in fact zipped structure so I renamed the file to xxx.zip and unzip it. At least I could grab the content of the file (content.xml).  So the next step would have been to clean the xml tgas get the content...

I stopped there and tried something else. May be you will think I am sick. I opened it with Word 2007. Word also detected something wrong BUT the recovery was... perfect... So it  seems the odf parser of Word is pretty good !

No comments: