Monday, January 25, 2010

Open ERP back from the technical training

So I am back from my Tiny technical Open ERP training. This finishes our upgrade to the Silver partnership.

Yes we are Silver partner ! And we did it by the rules (meaning I am having some troubles about the partnership program...)


I learned a lot during these 5 days concerning the customization of the product, how to extend it and how it works. This was a worth attending class ! Well the subject is difficult and sometimes the throughput was high. I need now to find time to consolidate that knowledge...

It seems the same trainer does the functional training. I suppose it must be good too - for sure better than the one I followed last year.

The course lacked real exercises and a complete doc. Although again their trainer (Olivier) has written a very handy memento for programmers. It should be available soon through Tiny... But I don't know yet what will be the format and if it will be free...

The logistic of the course itself was terrible (the first day, the room was damned cold, staying seated in a cold room is a pain and I am sick since Wednesday), the restrooms were non operational and locked until Wednesday (we had to queue in antoher part of the building), etc etc. It seems this was the last course given in their offices in Grand-Rosière and that they will move to a more confortable and professional location... I ope not too far however...


The other attendees were very nice thus making the class enjoyable if not comfortable...


On the Tiny web site but also on the SUN site you will find announcement of the partnership between Tiny and SUN. See http://www.sun.com/third-party/global/openerp/index.jsp.

This will of course gives great visibility to Open ERP.

Technically speaking, it means that there is now a branch of Open ERP built on top of SQLAlchemy (a Pythin based ORM). This makes possible to support MySQL instead of Postgress. Functionally this has little value (sorry to say so). Please also note this is nor the official trunk nor the stable version !

In theory, all databases supported by SQLAlchemy will work (I should avoid the term 'supported' because in fact nobody knows what will be effectively supported at this stage). Commercially, this will could be a good selling point. But when... I think.... Ideally... We can get the same support for Microsoft stuff (SQL Server and IIS). That would  make very much sense as the commercial target of Open ERP fits very well with the Microsoft Small Business server ranges...

Anyway, for the first time I took notes using Freemind. So I have electronic traces of my training... I will try to clean and pack a few things on the blog in the coming days...

No comments: