Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dzone article about Java missing features

I could not resit to reply to this article on Dzone about Java missing features:

http://java.dzone.com/news/java%E2%80%99s-missing-features#comment-21249

Well, this is more student work than anything else. So for me Java, the language is fine.New things are nice, yes. Don't take me wrong. But I don't think productivity will dramatically change thanks to closure or anything else in the list.

Java the platform is more a problem.

What am I missing from Java :

  • Simpler persistence (I know each version makes it simpler but it is still too complicated).May be a pure standard object oriented database with an integrated reporting...
  • Better, much better Swing, an easy Desktop application framework (I know it is coming, just cannot wait).
  • MS (or OO) Office like components (a word processor; a spread sheet,...) easy to embbed and to enhance. All in Java please.
  • In the same way, a Java based web browser component. Or merge Mozilla in JVM.
  • XUL like language for interface building.
  • Plenty of bug fixes and performance improvement.
  • Better integration with Desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • A standard ZK like web development framework.
  • ...
Well plenty of things to make it a good client application builder. And simpler enough to be effective on small size project.
Also political and commercial aspects matter:
  • Truly OpenSource I mean the real JDK not a //  product.
  • Bundlled and distributed in all Linux distro.
  • Popular as PHP among hosters with prices comparable to PHP.
  • Nice really Open Source apps -for example CMS - not these open-source-for-the-basic-stuff-and-need-to-pay40K$ -for-getting-still-less-than-joomla.
  • transparent market place not the -if-you-want-to-know-the-price-write-us.

So these are my dreams. And be sure that if I find something open and multi-vendors like this, I will consider to move on.

No comments: