Monday, April 14, 2008

Netbeans 6.x as a PHP IDE

As I am currently working with a PHP written CMS - Joomla - I tried the new beta plugin for Netbeans. With this extension you can create PHP projects and get code completion. Debugging in the IDE is possible provided you install the xdebug extension on the server.

As usual the Linux distribution is done through source code, it tooks me around 20 minutes to get the build process up and running. Debugging worked fine for simple application but for Joomla the debugger started but the resulting page was always blank.

I finally give up and used Wamp server on windows, there is worked perfectly. I still don't know why I can't get it up and running on my Linux machine. Among the difference : wamp comes with php 5 per default.

Links
The extension for PHP editing in Netbeans : php.netbeans.org.
Debugger for PHP : www.xdebug.org.
Apache + PHP + MySQL : www.wampserver.com.

No comments: