Wednesday, August 26, 2009

DOCLink for DOCMan on Joomla

a year ago, I built a small website for one of our customer. It is built with Joomla 1.5xx. One of the key compoent is DOCman. A small document manager that ease uploading, building a directory tree of documents etc

DOCman is ideal for small corporate web sites, loading brochures, manuals etc But watch out to the size limit (php settings) set by your hoster !

Strangely the menu system enables only to point to a category in the tree - not a document leaf.

What my customer wanted - which is basic I must admit was a simple way to make links from an article to some content in the DOCMan tree. I though I could find the URL of each individual document and create the links manually. I did not succeed - well there is no easy way to find the id of the items.

Finally I found an extension that adds an button on the defaut editor - TinyMCE -and that helps finding the right resourcee and link it. Really easy.

My only regret is that it is not standard and I searched for it during at least one hour...

Also the tip for the day don't forget to go to Extensions/Plugin manager, locate DOCLink and enable it then the button will show up ev ery time you edit an article (rows of buttons under the text area).

No comments: