Friday, May 15, 2009

Trying to buy from Novell

Just wanting to upgrade our Linux SLES server (to the freshly announced version 11). So I wanted to buy a media kit and subscription from Novell.

You may search for a shop, buy etc icon, link on the Novell web site... nada, nothing, niet. But there is a big, huge, sliding but useless black Ajax like menu...
Going to the product pages I got exited with a link "how to buy" (one of the two distributors I used previously seems to be in business with Novell anyore , the other one web site is still displaying products that are two years old).
There, a few prices and still nothing on really how to buy it. The single way seems "request a sales call". So did I. Putting a description of my request wich can be summarized "want offer or prices for SLES 11 with 1 year subscription and media DVD and manual. Also I want to know how to buy it...

Then I wait. Two hours later I got a friendly phone call. The charming lady asked me " what do you want ?" - meaning never write what you want since anyway we don't read it...
So why not buying on our online shop was her reply to my rephrased request... So she pointed me to http://shop.novell.com/ ! I gave her a warm thanks ! I told her... "how can it be that I did not find this myself..." she laughed and said "don't worry that's the way I am having a job...". One more goodbye later I though I could manage the purchase by my self....


One more ckick and... but... it is not that much updated (although they advertise 11 on their front-page). Isn't that their top enterprise platform?





Great, so you can still order your SLES 10 Media. Thanks !


Next... another place just below the previous one (why there are two... strange)...


Then I clicked on what I though would be my best pick...

Hm not that easy...

Luckily, there is a feedback link. "Help us improve our web site". It is needed indeed, I want to help again...


Finishing with a message like "buying from Novell is HELL!"

Hm too bad...
So I can hear from my desk... "what ?!? COMPLAINS about OUR web site... never seen anything about that... " indeed guys ... perfect job !

No comments: